Sleep and rest are two of the most important things that your body needs and probably the best things you can do for your body.
Resting and sleep have been a big issue in my life for quite some time now. I was in the habit of going to bed really late and having to wake up early in the morning for college (now uni) and it wasn’t great. I also had a huge problem with sleeping through the day, so I didn’t sleep through the day which resulted in me feeling more tired the next morning. And so the cycle went on.
I decided that it was time for me to do something about it as I want to be the best person God wants me to be, but I can’t do that if I’m always so tired!
Firstly, I should explain that rest doesn’t always mean sleep. It also means relaxation and restoration.
I am going to share with you 5 tips to getting good rest each day.
- Change Your Bedtime Habits – Half an hour before you decide to go to bed, turn off your electrical devices and read a book. The bright lights from your phone/laptop screen will disrupt your sleeping patterns. Try to relax before drifting off.
- Have 50 Minute Hours – If you work an office job, work for 50 minutes then for the remaining 10 minutes of that hour, do some stretches, move away from your computer screen for a little while.
- Have a 24 hour period of rest – My rest day is on the Sabbath. I don’t work, do homework, housework etc. I rest, read, spend time with family, spend time with God, and just chill. It really helps set you up for the new week.
- Tidy Your Bedroom & Living Room – It’s important to have a relaxing environment in your home. If the places where you typically rest are a mess, then it is more than likely that your mind will be too. It’s hard to relax, sleep, read, reflect etc. when you are analysing all the areas in your room that you haven’t got around to cleaning yet.
- To Nap or Not To Nap? That Is The Question! – If you find it easy to sleep at night but during the day you feel a little tired, then a 5-10 minute power nap is great. But if you can’t sleep at night, then even a slight nap in the afternoon can mean the difference between a good sleep at night. It is best avoided.
I hope that at least one of these tips help you out during your day and that you have a beautiful sleep when the night comes!